Wednesday, September 26

Updating the world, y'all

Well. This is interesting.
I got my new iPhone 5 this afternoon. I was totally excited, so was quick to pull it out of the packaging and set it up. So, it's all ready to go, with the network connection and all that. I go to restore it in my iTunes account, and am met with a speed bump. I need to download and update my iTunes to iTunes 7. I knew this going into my new phone, so was prepared for this.
However, I downloaded iTunes 7, and discovered that it was unable to install because the operating system on my computer was too old to support it. This leads me to apple.com in search of the new operating system. The newest OS, though, won't download onto my computer either, because the newest OS needs a newer OS than I have. The current OS is Mountain Lion, prior to that it was Lion, and before that it was Snow Leopard. My OS is the one before Snow Leopard. I bought my computer in 2008, and as of now, for my needs, it's obsolete.
But then Andy came to my rescue. I called Apple, and after a few minutes on hold, I was given over to Andy, the man who knows everything. I credit him with giggling only minimally when I told him my computer software version. Hearing that, he knew exactly what my issue was, and had the right news for me. They do have the Snow Leopard OS, but it has to be shipped to me. (Once there's a new OS, all former systems packages are shipped back to Apple and stored for people like me who call three years too late to update.) So, of course, I ordered it. Happily, an outdated system update is only $20.
Once I have Snow Leopard, I can update my iTunes. Once I can update my iTunes, I can restore my new phone with my iTunes information, uploading all my apps, pictures, music and conversations. That should happen sometime between Monday and Wednesday next week, Andy thought.
Until then, I have a phone with minimal apps and fun stuff on it, with which I can make and answer calls and text, and that's about it. (WEIRD!!) And I have a phone with which I can use my apps and games on wi-fi, but not converse with anyone. I am a woman of two phones for a few days.

No comments: