Friday, June 22

It's a Nook, not a Kindle

How quickly my loyalties switched.
I am now the proud owner of a Nook, reading tablet. It's the Barnes & Noble tablet, and I like it better. I spent some time at Best Buy messing around with all the tablets, and came to a conclusion quickly: I prefer the Nook. First and foremost, it doesn't display ads, which the basic Kindle does (you want no ads? Pay for the Kindle Fire, which is $100 more). Also, the pages flash a bit too much, and gave me an eye ache from the couple minutes I spent reading a sample on it. Also, the displays were less pleasing to my eye, and the menus and such were lacking.
The Nook, obviously, was the opposite of all those things, and didn't show any ads. The ads thing bothered me more than it probably should have, for the same reason, I think, that I refuse to have car-dealer advertisements on a car, but also because, really, who wants to look at ads while you're reading? The Best Buy guy said that they're along the bottom of every page of the book you're reading. That's just wrong. So, I'm rolling Nook, which I've decided is better for me anyway, given my loyalty to the Barnes & Noble.
I've downloaded a couple free books onto it already. And I've established my Nook account on the B&N website. But don't be thinking that I'm going strictly e-reader. I still have a three-piece pile of actual books to be read, and I'm just as eager to enjoy those as I am the little bits and bots in the Nook.

No comments: