Monday, May 14

LET THEM MARRY

Okay, let's just go on record here as saying that, no matter what your actual political leanings, you can't possibly dislike Barack Obama for coming out in support of gay marriage. I still find it vexing that so many people and politicians make it their daily work to be bigoted, spiteful and closed-minded towards a segment of the American population. It brings me to the realization, and horror-filled cognizance, that this nation is led by a zealous religious minority, that loves people and thinks they're great, so long as they live their lives as the minority believes. There are more things wrong with this thinking than I could ever put down on the blog here.
I'm so proud of the president for saying the right thing, and for pushing the right agenda in this. I don't agree with some stuff he's done over the last three years and more, but if it came down to voting for a president based on one issue, and this is it, I will totally vote for Obama again.
What's interesting, and clever, about this as a political move, is that everyone who votes against Obama now, is voting against equal, civil rights for all citizens of the country. Every politician who runs against Obama now is pushing bigotry and hatred on their ticket. Every argument becomes a question of how closed-minded and intolerant a person is.
Of course, I'm totally on board with this. I'll vote for Obama anyway, simply because I find the Republican platform repugnant. But that I can vote for him and know that he'll stand for equality in marriage for all people is a huge plus in my book. And maybe now that Obama, a sitting president, has made waves by supporting gay marriage, I actually will live to see same-sex marriages legal throughout the country.

No comments: