Thursday, May 31

Drinks, but no fresh popcorn

Brian and I have started seeing movies at a different theater over the last couple weeks. Last week's Battleship, and today's Men in Black 3, were both seen at one of those nifty, fancy theaters where you can order food and booze off a menu. Tables are in either bar or speak-easy form, and the seating is those big, comfortable conference room chairs.
As you know, I'm a big fan of popcorn at a movie. I always get it. It's, like, imperative. Last week's popcorn was okay, if just a touch stale tasting at the bottom of the bowl. This week, in talking with the server at the theater, we come to find out that the popcorn is purchased by the theater already popped and in bulk bags. Well, now we know what was wrong with it. I gave it another shot today, and, well, let's just say that Brian's chili nachos got more love than my popcorn.
And it didn't occur to me until after we had talked with the server that the theater didn't smell like popcorn. And that's when I realized how odd it was that a theater can NOT smell like popcorn. (Though I believe that is wrong on a thousand levels.) But I suppose that's part of the "fancy" in the fancy theater: that it doesn't smell like popcorn. I continue to believe that this is blasphemous.
And almost as bad as me no longer buying popcorn at this theater. I think I'll manage to get by ... with chili nachos.

No comments: