Wednesday, April 11

The wrath of 3D

I don't like 3D. I never have. As a rule, I find it kinda lame. Also, it makes a movie more expensive for not much more of a movie-going experience. I especially don't like the scenes that take you out of the movie with the knowledge, "Yeah! We did this to capitalize on the 3D technology! THIS is what you paid for!!"
I seem to consent to seeing only one 3D movie per year. This year's movie was viewed this morning: Wrath of the Titans. Please understand that I would have rather not seen this movie in 3D. I prefer all movies in 2D. But the 2D showing started too late in the day for us to have been able to get out in time to pick up Sydney at school on time. My hands were metaphorically tied, and since I did want to see this movie, we capitulated to the scheduling and 3D gods, and paid $8.50 for a matinee show ($3 each more than a regular matinee).
As they do, the movie people put in plenty of the cheesy scenes that add nothing to the story, but give the movie the 3D pizazz that we can expect from a 3D movie. I'm only glad they didn't make Sam Worthington's hair any more wavy and luscious than it was, that would have been even more off-putting.
Brian, in his Best Buy-incited fantasies, sometimes argues that we should get one of those new Sony 3D televisions. I quickly say no and move on. It's not a discussion. 3D is unimpressive and expensive. Two things that I don't value much at the movies. Gimme a story, dudes! Don't try to WOW me with falling rocks and a couple cyclops yelling into a camera!!

No comments: