Friday, April 13

Pomp and circumstance via xylophone

Sydney said to me this morning, "Mommy. I love you. Even when I'm a paleontologist, I'm going to love you."
"Oh, thank you, baby. I love you, too."
Then we got to school, where they were taking graduation photos for kindergarten. Yes, you read that right: graduation photos for kindergarten. When I read the e-mail reminding parents about the photos, I thought, great, school pictures! But then we walked into her classroom, wherein there were boxes of ... wait for it ... caps and gowns.
The studio was set up in the back of the classroom, and we got there just at the right time so Sydney could put on her little blue cap and gown and pose right there, while I was still in the room. They even had her hold a little "diploma" rolled up and tied with a ribbon. It was, no kidding, among the cutest things I've ever seen in my entire life.
And it made me cry.
It was the most surreal moment. I looked at her in her little kindergarten cap and gown, and saw her entire life of caps and gowns flash before my eyes. I saw high school graduation. College graduation. Paleontology graduate school graduation.
That is at least three other graduations I will see, and at least three other photos of her in a cap and gown. And no doubt I'll probably cry to witness each one of those.

No comments: