Tuesday, April 17

Discovery's final flight

These are photos of the final flight of Discovery, the most used of the space shuttles, as she makes her way from Kennedy Space Center to Washington, D.C. and the Smithsonian Museum for the rest of her life. Forever a museum now.
On its way to the airport, the shuttle's 747 took it on a series of fly-overs across the skies of Washington, giving the people there a good view of the shuttle. I would have loved to see it. Alas, stuck here in Texas. Still, this is my motivation to get my butt back to Kennedy, or to Washington, or to wherever the others are located. (I think the Johnson Space Center here only has a replica of the shuttle.)
You know, as I cleaned out the bottom drawer of my file cabinet yesterday, I came across my papers from the launch that never happened for me. It was about this time last year when I was beyond excited to be heading to Florida to watch something I'd waited my whole life to see. Endeavour, of course. And still one of the greatest disappointments of my life. Oh, trust me, I'm still heartbroken about it.
And seeing Discovery flying overhead would have been some small consolation. Some kind of fulfillment. Instead, now the best I can do is check out a shuttle in a museum. It's sad, really. Forever a museum.

No comments: