Saturday, March 3

Per Sydney, they rhyme, too

We went to two places awesomer than Houston this weekend.
Austin ~ A college town, and home of The University of Texas, Austin is much more our speed so far as not being totally grown-up yet. It took us about three hours to get to Austin. It was a great drive, with lots of cows, ranches, big houses, and random Texas-ness along the way. We met Treva and Rhea for lunch at The Salt Lick, which is one of Texas' most famous barbecue restaurants. Lunch was incredibly messy, but wonderfully delicious. We wandered around the UT campus, and ended our Austin adventure by taking a tour of the state's Capital building. It was interesting, as most historical buildings are, and a catalyst to my new interest in Texan history. (This is not to say that I am an official Texan. No, no. I just want to know more about Texas. I shall read Wikipedia.) The traffic heading out of Austin was heavy, and it took us an extra 45 minutes longer to get home. The weather was just as warm, but the humidity was noticeably less. Huge points in Austin's favor right there. As well as the attitudinal coolness of the place.
Galveston ~ I admit to being stubborn about not visiting Galveston. I honestly couldn't give you a straightforward thought as to why I have refused a trip to Galveston, but I'm glad that Brian and Mom overruled me this morning in regards to today's activity. The drive was relatively minimal (about an hour probably, but we did have some random construction traffic), and the day was lovely. I had never seen the Gulf of Mexico before, so it was a treat for my adventurous spirit as well. We took a lovely walk along the beach, which was cool, windy and buffeted by turbulent waves. We ventured out onto a granite jetty. We had lunch on the outside patio so we could watch the waves. ... I think Brian and I may have found our key to enjoying Texas in Galveston. It's a fair, but not as cool, alternative to Cape Cod. And the amount of hotel rooms with views of the water make it a great weekend adventure place. I need a hotel that is where we want it, but also inexpensive, and will let us bring Oliver and Daisy. Once I find that, I will have found our monthly, weekend get-away. We thoroughly enjoyed our first trip to Galveston.

No comments: