Wednesday, March 21

Fewer calories, more healthy

And with that, Miss Daisy is on a diet.
So, this morning, Daisy hurt her leg heading up the stairs from our morning walk. Just last week, she tweaked her back jumping off the bed, or sofa, or something, I didn't see it. When Daisy hurts her back, which has happened a handful of times, it usually takes her a few days to get back into fighting shape, and then all is well. But with her leg today so soon after her back last week, I was more concerned than ever. So we had an appointment with our new veterinarian in Houston this afternoon.
The doctor was very helpful, and explained that most of Daisy's issues (back and leg pain) are more than likely due to her weight (28 pounds), and that she just needs to lose the weight, before any of these problems become chronic or permanent. The hitch in that is, of course, that I have two dogs, and that now I need to supervise feedings, so I'm sure that Daisy gets her new prescription weight-loss food, and Oliver gets his normal, old-man food. Also, even fewer treats, and longer walks in the afternoon. Also, maybe she shouldn't go up the stairs for a while.
The weight-loss goal is eight pounds. This can take anywhere up to a year. I am to bring her into the office once a month for a weigh-in, and we'll check her progress to be sure she doesn't get too skinny. But that is certainly not anything that I'm worried about now. For now, I'm about to put my puppy on the same calorie-counting regimen that I myself have embarked on. We can be bitchy about not having yummy snacks and eating whatever we want together.

No comments: