Saturday, March 17

Happy Irish Awesomeness Day!

I always enjoy St. Patrick's Day. It's awesome that so many people celebrate the Irish culture ... by drinking a lot of green beverages and eating Irish food. Spoiler alert: the green beverages are a novelty, and only cost more than normal drinks because of the few drops of green food coloring mixed into them; and, more than anything, Irish food just is not that yummy. I suppose it is, for like, one day a year, but partaking in the Irish cuisine for longer than the one day is painful. And I don't like corned beef and cabbage at all. I prefer bangers and mash, if I must roll with something Irish lately, but back in the day, when I spent two weeks in Ireland, I survived off creamed soups and hot tea. Sure, a steak every once in a while, and perhaps a potato, but on the whole, the food was not great.
So, given a St. Patrick's Day in the United States, I eat what's good to my tummy, rather than the blander cuisine of my Gramps' country. Brian, Sydney and I went to Pei Wei for lunch, and then had some pizza at Chuck E. Cheese for a snack, and then finished up with sandwiches at Subway. Also, doughnuts.
I think though, next year, I'll do better. Sydney was perturbed that we didn't do any "leprechaun things" today. Which is ... what? I don't know. Skipping around a meadow wearing a big, green hat? Drinking beer and eating a potato? Getting into a fistfight in a pub?
My Gramps once told me that leprechauns were the spirits of all the Irish people that had died before us. They're real, and they are everywhere in Ireland -- dancing among the tree limbs, as well as in the bushes along roads and, yes, in meadows. But I can't believe that all the leprechauns are only in Ireland. There are too many awesome Irish leprechauns who would rather hang out here.
I know where my leprechaun is, and I don't need any one day a year to celebrate him. He's my dude every day.

No comments: