Thursday, January 19

He's a Prince ... of Persia

Someone please tell me why I seem to be so drawn to the movie Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I swear, if it's on, I'm watching it. I think I may have watched it about three times today. There is something wrong with me.
It stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan, an adopted son of the Persian king, who is wrongfully accused of killing said king, when really, he's on a noble quest to return a mystical dagger fueled by The Sands of Time, which can turn back time, to its rightful guardians, led by Princess Tamina, played by Gemma Arterton.
By all accounts, this is not a fantastic movie. In fact, it's incredibly cheesy. But what it does have is male and female protagonists that like each other a whole lot though they can't tell each other that; CGI action scenes; a scenery-chewing Ben Kingsley; and enough activity to intrigue this entertainment junkie. The good is tempered by an equal amount of the ridiculous: Gyllenhaal's "accent;" Gyllenhaal's hair; and Gyllenhaal as an action hero.
The movie is based on a video game. Video games have sequels. Apparently, this video game had more than one sequel. Inexplicably, I want a sequel to this movie. I read today that Gyllenhaal wants a sequel, too. I think Disney should make that happen. To appease me and Jake Gyllenhaal.

No comments: