Sunday, January 15

Clooney rocks, but of course

I love how my husband so gamely sits through my award shows with me. I mean, I love these shows, and I can sit and watch the red carpet and talk about how good, or not, someone looks, and how pretty, or not, their outfit is. I find things funny that most people wouldn't. I find things aesthetically offensive that most people wouldn't. My husband goes along with all of this. He'll dig in for the catty comments, and laugh when I share why something that person said is funny. He asks a lot of questions, which I'm not a big fan of, but mostly, he's a good partner in watching awards shows.
Tonight's award show offering was the Golden Globes. Presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the Globes are always a good time, as they include food, booze, and a more comfortable table seating arrangement than other award shows. Tonight's show, while entertaining, was less than amazing, as most of the thank-you speeches were long lists of people's names rather than chatty vignettes with a touch of emotion and humor.
Highlights: Ricky Gervais; George Clooney, as usual, who won for The Descendants; Octavia Spencer winning for The Help; Laura Dern's dress; Michelle Williams, with her shout-out to Busy Phillips; Claire Danes; Tina Fey photobombing Amy Poehler during their category nominations; and the Modern Family acceptance speech.
Disappointments: Woody Allen winning anything, because I just can't stand his movies; The Help didn't win its category, which is a conspiracy, I believe, towards an all-female ensemble cast; Bridesmaids didn't win its category, which is a conspiracy, I believe, towards an all-female ensemble cast; Meryl Streep, who always wins, keeping some other nominee from winning because of a part that only 10 people have seen; Tintin, because it creeps me out; how Angelina Jolie never seems to smile; and most every win being from cable.
I guess there's always next year. But first ... on to the Oscars!!

No comments: