Sunday, January 22

Goin' to the Big Game

I had a poetic, sweet blog post planned for tonight, but now, having watched a day's worth of football, I'm not feeling at all poetic or sweet. I feel triumphant, and weirdly anxious, about my Patriots making their way to the Super Bowl. What happens, you know, when the team that you cheer for ends up in the Super Bowl, is that the enjoyment of watching the Super Bowl -- as entertainment -- is over.
I typically enjoy the Super Bowl as an event, complete with yummy snacks, some beer, and humor over the commercials. When you have emotion in the game itself, as when your team is playing, it becomes a personal thing, and less fun. Watching this game on Sunday in two weeks, is going to be a painful experience for me. It'll be impossible to enjoy, unless my Patriots begin the ass-kicking early and put my mind at ease. I won't be able to handle a game in two weeks like the game tonight. It will be excruciating for me, and better for everyone else if they're not in my home that day.

No comments: