Tuesday, September 6

Shall we dance ....

I really have little to no interest in Dancing with the Stars this season. I'm not, so far, in love with any of the contestants, and don't know who a number of them are. (Once again, I cheer for Maks to win, and with an athlete for a partner -- the soccer player, Hope Solo -- he may just have a real chance this season.)
Let's see who we've got: Solo, the soccer player; Chaz Bono, son of Cher and Sonny Bono; JR Martinez, someone I don't know; Elisabetta Canalis, ex-girlfriend of George Clooney, as well as other accomplishments I don't know; Carson Kressley, one of my favorite Queer Eyes; Chynna Philips, one of the fabulous Wilson Philips girls; David Arquette, movie star and ex-husband of Courtney Cox; Kristin Cavallari, one of those reality television people; Nancy Grace, the crazy talk-show lady who yells a lot; Ricki Lake, who we all still love from the original Hairspray; Rob Kardashian, brother to all those Kardashians; and Ron Artest, who needed something to do while the NBA is in lockout.
As I look a the list, perhaps I am liking a few of these "stars." But my insistence on watching the show right now has more to do with all the people refusing to watch it. I can't believe that there are people in the world so upset that Chaz Bono will be participating on the show that they're planning to boycott the show.
"Don't watch," scream the ignorant people. "Don't let your children watch! They'll be traumatized forever!" Here's my solution to that problem: don't tell your kids that Chaz Bono used to be a girl, and they'll never question that who they're seeing on television is a man.
I think it's a great thing to have Bono on the show. I like that the cast is always such a culturally diverse group of people. I like that this year they're mixing it up even more with a transgender contestant, an openly gay contestant, and a member of the Kardashian family, which, as far as I can tell, is a group all of their own.

No comments: