Friday, April 8

We'd live in Sydney, of course

I like Australia. It's a nice place. I had a wonderful vacation there several years ago. It's beautiful.
Also, as I told Brian this morning, Australia is my fall-back country.
You know, for when life in the United States gets too crazy ridiculous, I will pack up my little life and move to Australia. Today was a perfect example of this country's politics getting out of hand. I was one midnight-shutdown away from checking out the visas for Australia. I still may, depending on how this whole thing shakes out. But really, sometimes, I'm totally ready to go.
Not that Australia is perfect. I'm sure it's not. But what it doesn't have is the issues of a "world leader." (World babysitter is more like it most of the time.) In Australia, when the country decides to participate in some international thing, it seems to be at the country's leisure, discretion and benefit. I don't hear about Australia having any issues with all this crazy international bodyguard garbage. In fact, I don't hear much about Australia in the news except for during the Olympics, or when a particular movie star from there warrants some attention. I like how it seems to fly under the radar, doing its own thing.
At any rate, the politics are getting such in this country that a move to Australia may just be in my future. The economy. The defense responsibilities. The political parties. I'm about over it. Really.

No comments: