Friday, April 22

Really? The hand flat on the burner? Yep.

I dislike it immensely when I hurt myself doing something stupid. And let me tell you, today's injury was a doozy of a stupid one! I did a fantastic job of boiling the eggs for dying this afternoon. I turned off the stove and went about my business preparing for the dying process. I pulled out most of the mugs we'd need, and went to move the bowl of pears from the counter to a cool corner of the stove.
And how does Kimmie determine which is a cooler corner? By placing her hand, flat, on a burner, of course. Unfortunately, the first burner I chose to check was the still HOT one, though it was no longer red. I burned the shit out of the palm of my hand, and it hurt like the dickens. I immediately put my hand under cold running water, and set about calming down my body and my head. I was freaking out, and my hand hurt like hell. My entire focus though, was on NOT freaking out too much, or passing out, because I was the only person home with Sydney.
So I kept my hand under the water and calmly (I thought) asked Sydney to bring me my phone. I called Brian first (he wasn't able to pick up), and then called Mom. I was still pretty calm, I thought, while I explained my situation, complained about how bloody stupid I was for doing it, and requesting help. Keep the hand under the water. Pat it dry. Take some Tylenol. Maybe some Neosporin later tonight. Unfortunately, that's all that can be done.
I left my hand under the water for a good 45 minutes while I waited for Katy to arrive (we had dinner plans). When she got here, we dried my hand and loosely wrapped it in some gauze. Also, I took four Tylenol. Then, we all piled into the car and headed off to dinner and Target. At Target, we picked up some additional gauze, some wrapping tape, and some antibiotic cream.
I'll tell you, my hand is feeling much better now. It'll still blister in a couple places, but as for pain, it's pretty minimal. I'll take some more Tylenol before going to sleep, but as of now, I'm feeling really good about this ridiculous injury.
Honestly, you can see marks on my palm from the burner coils. I'm an idiot.

No comments: