Wednesday, April 20

Off to school ... a better one!

So I had to go and find Sydney a different preschool in Texas. The school that she had been accepted to was good enough, until we got their liability waiver in the mail the other day. The waiver completely and fully holds them without damage or any responsibility for anything, including (this is my favorite part) negligence, gross negligence and negligence per se. So this school wants every parent to sign off on their child's safety ... in full ... as not being at all the responsibility of the school. What is a school, if not a place you know that will take responsibility for the safety of your child once you leave them there?
What. The. Hell.
I read the waiver, and got freaked. Brian read the waiver, and got freaked. Everyone I consulted got freaked, too. This kind of thing is not normal. And it's a big, fat, red, screaming red flag that tells me that I sure as hell won't be leaving my kid there. (I find myself curious about all the parents that sign that thing.)
Well, the fear of a bad experience has thrown us back into the arms of the more-expensive private school under the same curriculum umbrella as Sydney's current school. I got scared, of course, that there would be no room for Sydney at this other school, because I know her current school was full a month or so ago. But I read on their web site that their registration just started last week.
And when I called them this morning, I was told that there was plenty of space, and that they'd be happy to send me the packet, and that they're looking forward to having Sydney in their school.
It's funny how a simple, little conversation can change your entire day, making you a happier person in every way. I just about skipped everywhere today. Yay good school!!

1 comment:

David said...

I cannot believe that there are parents that actually sign this release. You have every right to be totally pissed. So glad you found a much better environment for Sydney. You deserve to sleep well tonight. David