Tuesday, January 4

It rhymes with "schmencouragement"

Well, that was disappointing.
I got the feedback today from my adviser on the final assignment for my children's writing course. You may remember that I wrote a manuscript for a fun, rhyming picture book, and sent that in as my Assignment 10, eager to get some critique and/or encouragement before shopping it around. My adviser's always been a good help, and since I was happy with this piece, I was looking forward to hearing back from her in regards to it. I'm not silly enough to think I'd hear all kinds of crazy praise and effusive love for the piece, but something more than 1.) an explanation on how difficult rhyming text is to sell, 2.) how it can't really be taught or critiqued, and 3.) that's why they don't teach that kind of writing in the course, would have left a much better taste in my mouth for a final criticism of my work. On the positive side, she did go on to say that I should really shop Assignment 6 and 7, and wished me luck with both of them.
So, my diploma will be arriving under separate cover in the weeks ahead. And I go forth into the manuscript-selling world unaccompanied, and barely encouraged. But I shall endeavor to sell the rhyming picture book manuscript anyway. As it is one of my New Year's resolutions, and because I like it a lot.

No comments: