Friday, January 14

Books I don't want to read

I'm having a crisis of conscience involving the books in my "To-Be-Read Pile." The problem: I don't want to read any of them. There are six books, and not one of them looks remotely interesting to me right now. In fact, all the books have been on the shelf for a while, and they haven't looked interesting for quite some time. I'm bored of my books, and that's an unsettling thing for me.

Reasons why I don't want to read them
Eat, Pray, Love: This is supposed to be one of those uplifting, woman-is-power, the-world-is-yours memoirs, right? I'm bored, and envious of the adventure, already.
Mark of the Lion: I'm about 30 pages into this one, from about five months ago, and have no interest in finding out what happens next. This speaks volumes.
Pride and Prejudice: Reading old-time British hurts my head, and I need to be in the right frame of mind to tackle it for hundreds of pages. This one can wait for my 40s.
The Princess Bride: Honestly, I'm afraid that this book is going to ruin my love of the movie.
The Tales of Beedle the Bard: I bought this one by J.K. Rowling because it was by J.K. Rowling. But it's not about Harry Potter, so my interest is on indefinitely hold.
The Phantom of the Opera: Another book that I'm afraid will ruin my own love and knowledge of the story. Honestly, if there's no Michael Crawford or "Prima Donna," I want a minimal interaction with it.

I really just want to donate the lot of them and go get some new ones. And perhaps most telling, when I have that thought, I don't feel guilty about it.
Having said that, I think I'll hold on to a couple of them for another couple years (Pride and Prejudice, The Princess Bride, The Phantom of the Opera and Beedle the Bard), but the rest can definitely be donated in my next book drop-off. Tonight, I clean out the pile. And I feel good about it!

No comments: