Wednesday, October 13

The miners, the miners, the miners

Okay, I'm completely and utterly obsessed with the Chilean miners being rescued from their 69-day entrapment in a collapsed mine near Copiapo, Chile. I swear, my television has been on CNN ever since the rescues started last night. I'm so excited to know that the final miner will probably be brought up within the next couple hours. I had fears of having to stay up until 1 a.m. or 2 a.m. to watch the final miner saved.
The logistics of this rescue is amazing to me. Every time that capsule descends the drilled tunnel to the collapsed mine, my heart starts beating faster. I love watching the miners get into the capsule to be brought up to the surface. I get teary-eyed watching the family's await their loved ones, and hold back the tears when they get their first hugs with those who have been waiting for days and days to see them.
The fact that this rescue operation was even possible was amazing. That it is working is nothing short of a miracle of technology. It's fantastic that the whole thing seems to have gone off without a hitch. I love that the whole world seems to be as transfixed by this as the people of Chile.
I'm just now watching the 29th miner hugging his wife, having just come up from the mine. I couldn't imagine the relief these families are going through as they watch their loved ones emerge from what must have been a special kind of hell. How amazing. No kidding. I'm just fascinated, amazed and inspired by the strength of the human spirit.

No comments: