Monday, October 4

How lovely it is being a tenant!

Here's some good news (sarcastically said): Our property management company has filed bankruptcy. We got our notification of its Chapter 7 filing in the mail today. This means, immediately, that our lease contract is now void. The homeowners though were quick about the rumors last week and sent us a rental lease addendum that continues our contract from the management company with the homeowners themselves. This also means that our deposit is tied up in the bankruptcy, which was listed on the notice we got today. Luckily, the homeowners acknowledge this travesty, and will honor our deposit when we move out. Still, weirdly random, yes?
I make it sound all nice and easy, but it wasn't all cute and kittenish. It's been taken care of, and all is civil now, but I'll just say that I am very ready to not be a "tenant" here anymore. I'm sure that they'll keep up their part of the deal, but they've fractured my trust in them as people who are looking out for our interest as well as their own, as was initially implied. So, when just a couple months ago, I was ready to sign a new lease for another full year here, I now am totally ready to vacate in March. Where we go from here is anyone's guess!

No comments: