Wednesday, September 1

I catch thieves, via bad grammar

Check out this e-mail I got this afternoon.

Dear Chase Member,
In the event of providing a more secure environment for online activities, we periodically screen accounts and restrictions were placed on your account in the process, due to suspicious account activities.
To regain full access to your account, you are to download the attachment to this email and fill in the required columns in order to restore access to your account.
This procedure is in line with our periodic security update and we very well appreciate your prompt response.
Very Sincerely,
© 2010 JPMorgan Chase & Co. Review Department.

Reasons why this is crazy fake:
1. I'm not a "Chase Member."
2. No logos, or graphic design to the e-mail at all. It was just text.
3. "In the event of providing" makes little to no sense. Immediately, I'm thinking, not a native speaker who is trying to sound professional. And a writer wouldn't use "account" three times in a sentence. It sounds funky.
4. The directions are too random. Download a program and fill in the information? I'm pretty sure that, if this was real, they'd ask you to go to their web site or call them.
5. "We very well appreciate" also screams to me that the someone who wrote this doesn't speak English well enough to be writing e-mails for JP Morgan Chase.
6. "Very Sincerely"? It's like they're screaming, "You HAVE to TRUST me! And give me all your account information."
I hate that people do this, and I hate even more that people fall for this kind of thing. Be vigilant!!

No comments: