Wednesday, August 11

And now, she can open everything

I removed all the childproofing from my house today. It went surprisingly well, and fast. That nifty Black & Decker drill with the screwdriver bit is a fantastic piece of machinery when it comes to doing some quick screw extractions. It's going to be weird for us though, re-learning how to open drawers and cabinets in the kitchen without first reaching for the magnet keys on the microwave door and cabinet door hinge. I must have reached for the keys about a hundred times since this afternoon. Even better was Brian's description of how he first thought to open the pantry, without just trying the door, looked for the key, realized that the key was missing from the microwave door, and was a beat away from bitching about how the key was lost, before he realized that he could just reach out and open the door now. Sydney was my removal assistant, and we discussed AT LENGTH that this was happening now because she's a big girl who knows where she is permitted to go, and what is not allowed. As an example, she heard the statement, "You actually do not go into ANY of these cabinets or drawers at all, unless Mommy or Daddy say so," more than a couple times. As Mom said, "Now you've got a grown-up house again!" Still, I'm having to remind myself that I can just reach for the pantry door and open it ... simple as that.

No comments: