Sunday, August 22

And I still haven't had a bite of it yet

I spotted this ad on the back of my Cheesecake menu this afternoon. It was a bit off-putting to me, actually. It smacked me in the face with a sense of weird irony, but then also guilt, and some inappropriate humor.
Check it out: it's a piece of cheesecake, that when you buy it, the restaurant will donate some of the money to a stop-hunger organization. Basically, it says, "HEY! You're all full from eating a ridiculous amount of food from The Cheesecake Factory? You thinking of making your stomach distend a bit more by shoveling in some dessert? Try this decadent and sinfully rich cheesecake! And when you're done feeding your face and eating enough for three people, we'll go ahead and donate a QUARTER to families in your very own country that are STARVING! Don't you feel better about yourself now?"
Really, when I read it, I thought, well, that's making me feel bad about having a big lunch. And then I thought, well, okay, so let's go ahead and take a piece of this good-Samaritan cheesecake home so we can eat it later, when we get hungry again. And then I thought, Hmmm, this is weird.

No comments: