Tuesday, June 22

Futbol, futbol, futbol

I think I've written before how indifferent I am to soccer. I didn't enjoy playing it when I was a kid, and watching it on television is even worse. I contend that no sport should be considered a sport if a contest can end in a tie. That's unfair to the spectators. The World Cup, while a worldwide obsession, means very little to me.
Still, I've watched bits and pieces of matches here and there. And because I am, above all, a patriotic type of recreational sports spectator, I am cheering ... loudly ... for the United States team. I've heard from several sources that our national team should not be doing as well as it is in this year's tournament. "We" tied England's team, and tied, with a robbery, the Slovenia team. Tomorrow morning, we compete against the Algerian team. If we win that one, we move into the next portion of our bracket.
I'd love for this to happen. I like it when the U.S. does well in a sport that the rest of the world considers its own, especially since we kick butt in our own national sports (baseball, snowboarding, basketball). I'll not be watching tomorrow, because, like I said, I find watching soccer to be among the most boring activities ever, but I will be cheering for our team in their quest to move on and fight another day. In that, I'll be sporting some soccer duds via the avatar.

No comments: