Tuesday, June 1

Do hummingbirds eat fungus gnats?

If you can believe it, those goddamn bugs were flying around a couple of my plants again today. I had half a mind to toss the plant out entirely, but it's a really nice plant, so instead, I called my mommy. After a clever Google search, the high and mighty Internet came down with the answer to my problem: fungus gnats. Um, gross.
What's interesting though, is all the random household supplies that go into the basic fungus gnat killer. Beyond the simple task of putting a half-inch of sand on top of the potting soil in the planter (to be done tomorrow), one should spray the plant with the killer. FUNGUS GNAT KILLER RECIPE: Mix together one cup of warm water, 1/3 cup of cooking oil, and 1 tsp of baking soda. Put this in a spray bottle; douse the plant; and the bugs will die. However, you may have to be persistent, persistent, persistent.
So, tonight, my plant is still outside, having been doused twice with The Killing Solution. In the morning, I'll check for the little bugs again. If I see some, sadly, the plant will have to go. If not, every plant will get a Killing Solution shower tomorrow afternoon.
Also, on the agenda for tomorrow, buying some sand.

p.s. I do not think hummingbirds eat fungus gnats. Though it would be totally cool to have a bunch of hummingbirds living in the house for a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are in the potting soil...throw out the soil not the plant.