Monday, May 31

There really IS a money tree in the backyard!

I like it when I figure something out that's bugging me. (HA! An unintentional pun!!)
Have I mentioned that lately, there's been a small, but persistent, population of little black bugs flying around my house? They're those little plant bugs, and I have dealt with them before, though not regularly. Usually, to take care of them, it's just a quick spray of bug stuff on the house plants, and all is fine. But lately, these bugs have been, like I said, persistent. The plants have been sprayed a couple times. Still, they live to fly around.
A few weeks ago, I realized that the bugs actually arrived shortly after the new indoor tree from Ikea was bought and replanted and put in my bedroom. So I sprayed the tree. Last night, as I blogged and farmed, I killed about three of the little bugs. This morning, I sprayed the tree again. Then, later this afternoon, sprayed it again.
I had noticed a couple days ago that one of the tree's braided trunks was browning. Since it was outside, I thought that I'd just go ahead and trim that portion of the trunk off. I cut it high, then cut it farther down. Once I got to the last portion of the trunk, I easily pulled it out of the soil. On that, I discovered several bugs, baby bugs, and what appeared to be larvae on the root. ICK.
With this, I got a little freaked that this plant had been in my bedroom for the last few weeks. I called Brian, and the decision was made to plant the tree in the backyard, in a shady corner by the patio. There, bugs don't really matter. So, we planted the tree.
Of course, planting a tree outside is probably not the best course of action at the beginning of summer, but there was no way that plant was going back into my house. Hopefully, it will live for a while!
From now, the bugs should die out pretty quickly. All the other plants in the house have been sprayed, and none show any evidence of bug tampering. I'm vigilant though. Those little bastards will not be back.

No comments: