Monday, March 1

Who's that on the grassy knoll?

I don't think I told you that Brian and I did a good amount of yard work this past weekend. We spent the before-the-rain hours of Saturday morning laying soil, re-seeding and fertilizing our lawn in the backyard. You'd be proud of us. While Brian aerated the soil, I was able to take the time to trim up the bougainvillea along the interior wall of the yard. Once he finished, he poured out the soil while I (on my hands and knees!!) spread the soil evenly over the space. NOTE: We did have to go to Home Depot at this point to get more soil. The guy who helped us originally had no idea how much soil this would take. On his advice, we bought one bag initially; it ended up taking four bags to cover our ACREAGE. Having spread the soil, Brian did the seeding, and then we spread out the fertilizer. To keep a lot of the birds out, we then spread more soil atop the layers.
From then and for the next two weeks, it's all about water, water, water. The soil and seeds must stay moist, so we're to water the space three times a day. Our lives this month are about watering the grass. Hence, the gardener-with-watering-can avatar. I'm really pretty excited about having a green lawn again.
The general consensus though, is that I over-watered the grass last spring, summer and fall, which accounts for the unhealthy look of it towards the end of the summer and into the fall. I'll certainly be mindful of that going forward into the grassy months of this year.

No comments: