Wednesday, March 24

Sometimes, peer pressure is a good thing

I fed a giraffe today. It was really pretty cool. There's a giraffe encounter place at Phoenix Zoo, and, honestly, I got peer pressured into participating. It costs $3 per person to feed the animals, and I only had $5 total, so had to borrow a buck from Nicole. Lack of cash is usually why I avoid the activity. All the same, today, so many moms got in line, Sydney got excited about it, so I was sucked in, too. We waited our turn, got our guide, Mike, to lead us onto the platform, and then were given our lettuce leaves, and what I could only guess is a bit of Giraffe Protein Pellet. When it came down to it, Sydney freaked and wouldn't go near the giraffe. There's a line that you are not permitted to cross, since the giraffes can reach the food from your hand when you're behind it. I stepped up, as I do, and fed the giraffe its protein pellet. Giraffes have really long, really dark black tongues that feel a lot like a dog's tongue when it brushes your finger. Super cool.

Animals that, in my life, I have hand fed:
Giraffe
Horse
Goat
Squirrel
Blue Jay
Rabbit
Hamster
Parakeet -- I know that feeding Humphrey totally shouldn't count, but my goodness, he was the frickin' coolest bird ever.
Turtle
Duck
Fish
Kangaroo

No comments: