Monday, March 8

Olympic gloves in Arizona: PRICELESS

Let me just start off by saying this: My mom is awesome.
I got a good-sized yellow envelope in the mail today. I was stumped, of course, but especially by the Canadian return address. I had no idea who these people were, and what intrigued me even more was the mailing label, upon which the word "gloves" was listed under its content space. Right there, in the middle of my driveway, I opened this envelope. Springing forth from the open envelope was a red, knit bundle of happiness. I looked again at the return address. Again, no idea who these people were, but they became, all of a sudden, the best people on the planet. I thought that maybe they read about my need for these mittens on the blog here, or somehow from my Facebook page -- creepy instances that freaked me out a bit. But first, I thought to call Brian and Mom. Brian wasn't able to chat, but I knew that Mom would be the key to this mystery, since stuff like this just doesn't happen without her fingerprints on it somewhere. So when she called me back, I was all questions. Minutes into the call, she admitted to making the purchase on eBay (which was why she didn't immediately recognize the name on the return address label), and knew that they would be arriving soon.
Um, this is just a fantastic story, isn't it??!!
The mittens are warm, wonderfully red, and make me smile every time I look at them. I've worn them quite a bit this evening. Ridiculous, yes, but still, a warm, happy, fuzzy feeling.
Brian got home, and having noticed the frustrated "kid needs to go to bed" look on my face, and the relaying of the latest Daisy-stealing-food-from-the-table story, he said to me, "Wow, if it hadn't been for those Olympic mittens, someone may have been dead here tonight."

No comments: