Wednesday, March 10

I couldn't find a "Kimberly"

I got a ticket today. A member of the city's finest pulled me over this afternoon, and not for a moving violation. Apparently, the registration on my car expired on January 31. Expired tags, and a California driver's license, earned me a ticket, rather than a warning. Honestly, I had no idea the tags had expired. I never got the renewal; either it didn't get mailed to me at all, or it got lost in the mail. The police officer figures that, between my moving last year and the Cali license, the Arizona DMV had no idea where to send the renewal. I distinctly remember changing the address on the DMV's web site after we moved, so was confused as to why I didn't get the renewal, but that's neither here nor there. The cop (I'll call him that here, since it's faster to type that than "police officer" every time I refer to him) took my license, current insurance (thank goodness I had that!!), and expired registration and headed off to his car. No doubt all kinds of identity and background searches ensued within the vehicle, because he was in there for 20 minutes or so. Sydney told me at this point, "Mommy, he's never coming back." I disagreed, but she kept arguing that. Finally, he came back ... with the ticket.
The general consensus is that, if I had an Arizona license, I probably would have gotten off with a warning. But, with the Cali license that I told him I did not want to give up, he, for whatever reason, decided I needed an actual ticket. These infractions are not moving violations, so they do nothing to my license or insurance. They do, however, piss me off. Not the registration, because obviously, that's my bad, and if the renewal showed up, I would have paid it. That's not the kind of thing that I just choose to not pay. No, I am pissy and agitated over giving up the California driver's license. I always said that I wouldn't change that license until all I had to change was its address. That we still live in a rental property is an argument that I am still in temporary housing. Mom's address is my only permanent place of residence (only for a long weekend every couple months notwithstanding), so that is where the license should be, right? Someone back up this logic!!
The registration is taken care of (as well as my new personal license plates! Yay!!), so that's a good thing. Also, it should be noted that the address was correct in their system. I have no idea why I didn't get the renewal for my tags. Damn it. Fine for the expired tags: $139, with proof of valid registration. Fine for "Failure to update address on license": $140, as best as I can tell, according to the pamphlet. Brian made me promise to get my new Arizona license tomorrow. Add in the registration itself, plus the new plates: $375. Brian currently argues that my stubbornness over the Cali license is now costing us about $600. I say no, that this whole thing is merely an irritation. I also wonder if it's possible to just pay the fine for the license, "forget" to make the change, and hope that they don't follow up with me.

No comments: