Sunday, January 10

Yay Cardinals?

I think I've finally figured out my whole Apathy Towards the Arizona Cardinals thing. Brian and I discussed it at some length this evening on our way to brinner, and we decided on a couple key points.
1.) There's nothing wrong with liking the Cardinals ... now that they're relevant. By way of avoiding being on the bandwagon, the only rule is to not go overboard in our "like." That means no flags, jerseys or car stickers, of course. Not that we would anyway.
2.) Our appreciation for the hometown team is something that can be cheered. But having watched today's game, we also decided that, had they lost, it wouldn't have bothered us that much.
3.) I finally figured out exactly what is keeping me from liking the Cardinals too much. Remember all those years ago when the Cards were playing at Sun Devil Stadium? And remember when the team and its management bitched and moaned LOUDLY about how Sun Devil Stadium was so inferior for them as a team? Honestly, they made it sound so much like it was the stadium's fault that they sucked so badly. That pissed me off towards them. For this, weirdly, I hold a grudge. No one makes Sun Devil Stadium seem inferior.
4.) Having told you all that, now, I can appreciate the Cards as a team that is doing well, and I can cheer for them with little to no irony.

p.s. Still, I am totally irritated that the Patriots lost today. It all just makes me so much more mad about them losing the Super Bowl a couple years ago. They totally choked on their chance for history, and it still burns.

No comments: