Thursday, January 14

Mastering the Art of ... Just Cooking

Brian and I watched Julie & Julia tonight. I'm in a bit of a state about it. I've been in a mood about cooking and serving dinner lately (not that I've done it), and this movie, while incredibly intimidating, also was strangely motivating. Wouldn't it be crazy if I, at the age of almost 37, suddenly decided to start cooking? Like, for real?
It all comes down to the fact that I want myself, my kid and my husband to be better eaters. I now realize that I am the only person in this equation that can make that happen. It seems as though my cooking these "better" meals also is a necessity for this to happen.
I will not, by any means, tackle Julia Child's book. But I think perhaps Martha Stewart's Cooking School cookbook, aka "A Guide to Cooking for Non-Cookers," will be the one I'll try. You know what I like the most about this cookbook? It spells out everything. It teaches how to scramble an egg. Of course, I already knew how to scramble an egg, but reading a little recipe about it made me feel just that little bit more confident about it.
It all comes down to just trying it for the first time. And then practicing a lot after that.
Also, I need a table and chairs for eating.

No comments: