Sunday, January 17

Make 'em right, or not at all

We made the mistake yesterday of buying some sandwiches at Quizno's. It's weird. I used to love, love, love Quizno's. When I worked in Boston, there was a Quizno's right across the parking lot from my office building. I went all the time. The BLT sandwich (my go-to sandwich at most every subway and deli shop) was a delicious lunch, with plenty of mayonnaise, tomato, lettuce and bacon strips on yummy toasted bread. Couple that with a bag of barbecue potato chips and fresh-brewed iced tea, and the lunch was perfect.
Then, the chain took the basic BLT off the menu. Then, for whatever reason, it added a bigger BLT, with extra bacon, which included slices as well a crumbled bacon pieces. At the time, I thought, "Ew, crumbled bacon. Who eats crumbled bacon on purpose?" Then, for an even weirder twist, the company removed slices of bacon from the sandwich assembly line entirely. Yes, that means that every sandwich created with bacon, was thereby created with a pile of crumbled bacon. I can see that crumbled bacon is probably cheaper, just because crumbled bacon doesn't have to look as nice on a sub sandwich as slices of bacon. (If I'm wrong, let me know.) I assumed this was a financial decision.
Anyway, we had to visit a Quizno's for a quick pee stop for Sydney yesterday, and decided that, as long as we were there, we might as well pick up some sandwiches for lunch. I ordered my BLT on white bread easy enough. And then I saw it: the pile of CRUMBLED bacon scooped onto my sandwich, making it gross. I couldn't help it, I actually, physically grimaced, right there in the store. And I'm pretty sure I even said, "Ew. Crumbled bacon still? Who eats that on purpose?"
Of course, because I was hungry; had already ordered the sandwich; and fancy myself a martyr at times, I ate the sandwich when I got home. The crumbled bacon was just as icky as I remember it being all those years ago when I decided to boycott Quizno's because of it.
I wrote a letter to Quizno's early this morning:
"Good morning,
I would like to go on record as being completely un-enamored of your crumbled bacon bits instead of bacon slices on your sandwiches. I chose to boycott your stores a few years ago when you made that switch. Yesterday, I was pressured into eating at a local Quizno's, and was dismayed to see that you still use bacon bits instead of bacon slices. ... The boycott continues.
Kimberly Griffiths"
I do not require a response to this, and indicated that on the web site, but will be interested to see if I get one anyway. At any rate, as I said, "The boycott continues."

No comments: