Wednesday, January 27

Back to hanging out

I know that this is the way wrong economic climate to be saying no to a job, but I think tomorrow morning, I will commit to that error. I did the pretty in my interview this morning. I listened, nodded, smiled, answered properly, and wowed them. And three hours later, I had an offer. The problem? The "mind-numbing" work that the interviewers themselves admitted was "tedious." I use quotes in that sentence because those are the actual words that they used. The job consists of reformatting web site documents from one type to another, sifting through the wording looking for bits that didn't transfer properly, and also checking legal statutes and changes in each document according to the state in which the company is headquartered.
I listened to all this and thought, "Well, that's cool for some people, but this is not at all what I do." I walked out wondering if perhaps taking this job would be the catalyst for a creative explosion in my off-work hours. Because this job was certainly not the place to do any writing, or article editing, or, my true love, preparing a magazine for publication.
I get that I should be happy to get a job, but there's something very heavy around my neck when I think of taking this job because it's a job, instead of taking it because it sounds like something I'd enjoy doing. Taking a job I already know I wouldn't like is a waste of everyone's time. And taking that job for an insultingly low salary is even worse.
I feel like I need to point out at this time that Brian, the guy who is cheering the loudest for a job, has totally got my back on this decision. As he told me this morning, "We need it, and it would be great if you got it, but if it's something that you'll hate, don't worry about it."
And then, as if to confirm my thinking, I found a listing for the perfect job for me this afternoon. A managing editor position for a trade publication here in town. This is exactly what I'm looking for, and I am perfect for the job. (Let's hope they agree.)
So, here I am, about to say "No thanks" to job. That's tops on tomorrow's to-do list.

No comments: