Wednesday, December 16

Background noise = "Hellboy II"

I am so committed to my movie channels that, as I sit here typing, I'm allowing my cable box to be all stop-and-go, pause-and-jump without changing to one of the lower cable channel numbers for smoother reception. I am not bothered by this because the movie playing (sort of) right now is not that important to me, and all I really require from my television right now is background noise.
Let's talk about Tiger Woods. Some things are going on in the news right now, and I have to say that I'm pleased with how this is rolling along. 1.) Tiger was declared the Associated Press's "Athlete of the Decade." I approve of this. After all, you really can't show me another athlete who has done as much for his sport as Tiger. And as an athlete, he deserves the accolades. 2.) Reports say that Elin Nordegren Woods will be filing for divorce soon. I approve of this development as well. No one should stay in a relationship where they feel disrespected, and where their value is so completely underrated. This is how I see Tiger and Elin's situation right now. He could say that he'll change, but the odds are slim. And she could say that she still loves him and is committed to a healthier marriage, but there's no trust anymore, and that's no way to live in a relationship. Her best bet is to remove herself, and her kids, from the unhealthy situation, and begin building a better life for herself, and maybe with someone who appreciates her more. Tiger wants to be the guy who messes around with every piece of ass that walks by? Congrats; do it on your own time, and without messing up your wife and kids. 3.) Tiger has decided to take an indefinite leave from playing golf professionally. This is a good thing to do, if you want to focus on your life and family. And I agree that laying low will give the media time to find something new to obsess over. So, what? See you next year?
I'm intrigued by this Tiger mess. I'm all for Elin's departure from Tiger's vicinity, and I'm certainly for her getting a healthy chunk of his earnings. Also though, it's hard to have appreciated Tiger, and watched him mature, without thinking that, in the end, there must be some kind of misunderstanding, because this just doesn't seem like the Tiger we all think we know.

No comments: