Thursday, November 12

This one seems a bit ... much

In my quest to make this home absolutely perfect ... just in time for us to move out ... I tackled another one of my peeves about the house. There's no way of prettily setting this one up for you, so I'll just throw the facts out there, and you can put them together: The house has a side access to the backyard that is ungated and unsecured.
Hmm... I guess it didn't require a lot to set it up. What good is a backyard that just anybody can wander into? Mine is cleverly blocked with an old baby gate, which does absolutely nothing but keep my dogs in the yard. True, a very important task, but again, it doesn't do much for security. In wandering through the neighborhood, I've noticed that a majority of the houses have, conveniently, gates blocking access to the backyard. So! They DO exist!!
My quandary: I've asked the owner and property manager for a couple things since we moved in, and all I've gotten permission for is the grass. Honestly, I didn't think that they would allow me to have the gate installed, so had planned on having it put in without telling them. However, the $626 bid for the gate this morning made me nervous. I knew I'd be able to handle half that, but the whole amount was a bit much. After listening to some whining on my part, my "Better Advice Fairy" suggested I go ahead and ask the owners to split the cost with us, as the fence was a permanent improvement to the home.
Happily, the owner and property manager got back to me quickly with some good news! They're splitting the cost of the gate! Exciting!
Tomorrow, I'll call and tell the gate company to move forward with my job, and commence the waiting game. They tell me it'll be three to four weeks, but I'll hope for sooner.

No comments: