Friday, November 13

The sickness invades

The sickness has entered my house. And it'll be an unwelcome guest for at least a week.
Sydney came home from school yesterday with a very definite runny nose. I felt a little something in my nose as well, and Brian had a scratchy throat. This morning, while Brian and I were somewhat able to fake healthiness, Sydney had a snotty nose that wouldn't stop running, and the distinct sound of a plugged nose in her speech. She's a real trooper though, and didn't let it slow her down much. I did need some additional cold-relief fire power for the home though, so, armed with a list and one very cool suggestion from Josh, Sydney and I traveled over to Target for some medicines.
Our sickroom purchases:
1.) Any kind of medication that she can take now that she's three. However, there is no cold medication that she can consume at her age. The Pedia Care that I thought said "three" in Target, said "four" at home, so it sits unopened on the bathroom counter. Funny side note: I was ID'd at the register for buying the stuff. Apparently, "these ASU students are drinking the stuff," so the store is scanning every ID that buys any cold medication. Honestly, she couldn't look at the toddler-sized snot monster in the cart and just let me buy the medicine with no hassle?
2.) Children's Tylenol in "Very Berry Strawberry." If I can't drug her into feeling better by tackling her cold symptoms themselves, I'll give her some pain reliever medicine that'll just make everything feel a bit better. She chose the flavor herself, and seemed to enjoy it when she drank down her 1 tsp. tonight. Please, let it be a bit of a sleep inducer.
3.) Kleenex with super soft aloe and lotion. The Puffs just weren't doing it for us. We'd only been dealing with this runny nose for 24 hours, and already she was telling me that her nose hurt. Bad sign for the current tissues, I say. Two boxes of softer Kleenex strategically placed in obvious spots so they'll be available for any evidence of snot? Check!
4.) Vick's nighttime, waterless menthol- and eucalyptus-spewing air diffuser and nightlight. This was Josh's suggestion, and oh my, is it a good one! I got the machine all heated up for about an hour before Sydney's nap, and by the time she crashed, the room was a pleasant Vick's-ish heaven. And when I got her up about two and-a-half hours later, the room cleared my nose the second I opened the door. She slept well with it. That's my goal!
Hopefully, with the Vick's, Tylenol and tired body, she'll get a decent night's sleep!

No comments: