Saturday, October 31

Fwooping witch scares mermaid

As far as Halloween events go, the last few days were just wonderful.
I had always thought though, that when we made our way into a house in a neighborhood, we would be amongst other families, and trick-or-treating would be a fun neighborhood activity. But with this particular community, we, as a family, are the extreme minority. Our neighbors are much more grandparents than parents and kids. Because of that, we had to find our own entertainment for my beautiful little girl, costumed as the most adorable pig ever.
Our ultimate destination: "Howl-oween" at Phoenix Zoo.
What I most liked about this venue was that each different area on the Zoo's trail was graded for scariness via skulls. One skull = good for Sydney. Two skulls or three skulls = not good for Sydney. I got us a bit lost at the very beginning of our adventure, but we ultimately ended up on the proper path to the Trick-or-Treat Trail. I forgot to bring a bag for Sydney, so she ended up treating with my purse. It worked out okay, though when the treats are provided by a grocery store, you're as likely to get a granola bar as a candy bar. She rocked the activity though, announcing her "Trick-or-Treat" loudly and proudly.
Brian and I got creeped out by a witch there, though. You know how places like that have random people in costume hiding in random places? There was a witch, perfectly hidden beneath the dark limbs of a large tree, all in shadow. As we wandered past the tree, she cackled at us. It was kinda low and not too distinguishable, but I heard it out of the corner of my ear. I turned and barely made out her form beneath the tree. Then, she cackled again, and moved a little bit. She had a long, flowing cape that lifted in the breeze perfectly. I grabbed Brian's hand and had him turn to see the witch, too. When we looked back, she had sunk down into a kind of puddle of black cape, and cackled again. Then, she did the weirdest thing! She kinda lifted up and moved a foot closer to us, all under her cape, which kinda fwooped around her. The effect was so creepy! Then, she did it again!! CREEPY!!
Then, I looked at Brian again and was all, "Okay, that's looking too creepy. We should keep moving before she scares Sydney." And I grabbed Brian's hand to walk with him.
Then the witch fwooped again!
And Brian was all, "Okay, let's go."
Once back in the car and driving from the parking lot, we got a huge giggle out of ourselves. The witch had freaked us out! Sydney didn't even notice her! And Brian and I were all, "We've got to get away from that witch before she scares Sydney!"

No comments: