Tuesday, September 15

"Oh, Jay," she says with a heavy sigh

For those of you out there who think that maybe there isn't a single thing that my mom and I disagree on, I offer this post to you.
In two words: Jay Leno. She enjoys. I do not.
I'll admit that I've never been a huge fan of network late-night television. It's not must-see for me. I don't care for David Letterman or Conan O'Brien really either. I wish I could remember that Craig Ferguson existed nightly, but I can't. And Jimmy Fallon looks funny from what I've seen online, but I forget about him, too. (My love is, of course, Jon Stewart.)
My dislike of Jay Leno is kinda weird. I've been mostly ambivalent since he started on The Tonight Show, but over the last few years, he's just bugged me to new heights. Lame jokes. Uninspired monologues. That headlines thing makes me gag simply because so many times they're just not that funny (and yes, it picks on my profession). "Jay-walking" makes me afraid that there are people out there who act that stupid just to get on television, or really are just that stupid.
So several months ago, when faced with not having to deal with Jay anymore, I was pretty okay with it. I can handle an unintentional viewing of Conan a lot more than Jay on any day of the week. But then, there's this nonsense about Jay having a "variety" show on every weeknight at 9 p.m. (that's 10 p.m. for those of you with normal, non-Arizona time zone television). Um, huh? Why? Well, for Mom, of course. She was pretty pleased to hear about it, and she does not like Conan.
Because I forgot, I missed The Jay Leno Show last night, but I read up on it this morning. I have not read or heard good reviews about it (including, surprisingly, Mom, who said that the whole thing just looked uncomfortable). Despite that, I will be sure to tune in tonight. I have to at least see it. I'm one of those people that needs to, at the very least, know what she's not liking while she's not liking it.

No comments: