Friday, September 11

It's a good day for birthdays

A couple things about September 11:
1.) It's Howie's birthday. He would have been 73 today. And last night, as I watched the clock tick towards midnight, I remembered the night of September 10, 1996. That evening, it was amusing to Mom and I that, at a few minutes to midnight, Howie was still awake and watching television. We asked him why he was still awake. His response: "I'm enjoying the last minutes of my 50s." Awesome. I wish I could have wished him a happy day today. I mean, I did wish it, but it would have been nice to say happy birthday in person.
1b.) He HATED it that his birthday had become a national day of mourning. Why must his birthday now be associated with something so sad?, he would ask. That bugged him so much.
2.) It's Andrea's birthday, too. She is 36 today. And FINALLY, the same age as the rest of us. And we'll all be the same age for about three months, until Kerry's birthday in December. Then the cycle of Turning 37 begins. UGH!
3.) MSNBC ran the footage of The Today Show from the morning of Sept. 11, 2001 this morning, and again tonight. Brian and I watched parts of it earlier, and watching that still makes my heart sink.
4.) I posted this picture of Howie and I at my wedding on my Facebook page this morning. It made me smile so much throughout the day that I decided to post it here, too.

No comments: