Wednesday, July 8

School is cool

Okay, the Gymboree's quick and unceremonious shutting down was just the kick in the butt I needed to get going on this preschool thing. So, yes, I did do something about it today. Sydney and I checked out a private preschool near us this morning. The school itself has been open for only three weeks, and the lady at the front was only too happy to give us a tour. As this is my first preschool experience since I'd been in one, I was at a bit of a loss for questions, except the basics: teacher/student ratio, lunch, naptime, teacher qualifications, and all that. I'd love to have had one of my trusted moms (either my own mom, or one of my friends who's a mom) with me, but I think I got through it okay (as did Sydney, of course). The school itself was clean, the teachers were nice and friendly, the kids seemed engaged and happy, and the rooms were bright, cheerful and large. I liked it; I think I really did. We've signed up for a free one-day trial next week, which should be interesting. I even got to meet the school's owner, who returned just as we were leaving. As Sydney and I left the school and walked to the car, she set her butt down on the parking lot curb, copped a pout, and announced to me, "I want to go to school." Cute, certainly! While the classrooms certainly engaged her interest, it was the playground out back that really caught her attention.
The one-day trial should be an interesting experience! For both of us! I bet she thoroughly enjoys it. I think I may just sit in the parking lot of the school and cry for the entire four hours.

No comments: