Monday, June 22

She just took it, like a pirate would have

I had a crisis of creativity consciousness this morning. It was brought to my attention that I may be stretching myself creatively lately -- or rather, not stretching my creativity much at all -- due to all my technological commitments. I love my blog so much, and I am so happy with Facebook, that by the time I get to Twitter, I'm kind of spent for a way to express myself that I haven't already touched on that day. Actually, in the order by which I do things, the blog may have been suffering the most, since I don't typically get to it until the end of the day.
So, I'm having this conversation with my staunchest supporter/fiercest critic this morning, discussing the general malaise in my writing. Among all those other things, I've had a bitch of a time getting my children's writing homework done over the last couple months. The discussion ranged from where the writing has faltered, to where some of it has shown some spark. I admitted that I find Twitter to be the culprit of my own creative vacuum, though I still enjoy it for the vicarious information on other people and celebrities ... I mean, really, my daddy is on Twitter (you can say it, that's just awesome). Soon thereafter, the conversation moved on, and then ended.
Sydney, of course, was in the room as I discussed these things, and seemed to be doing a puzzle. I left the office for a few minutes to get dressed for the day and to wash my face and pull up my hair. When finished, I returned to the office, surprised to find that she still was doing the puzzle, though curiously, my desk chair was pushed in and my computer was open. I didn't think much of it, until I went to check all my "stuff" during naptime.
You know what's weird? I'll tell what's weird: Your two-year-old daughter taking a couple minutes when you're out of the room to hijack your Twitter account, change all the settings ... including the password, and not say anything about it. Who knew that the kid was so techno-savvy? I guess I should have, but I didn't.
And honestly, I'm happy to say that I'm feeling a bit liberated at not having to come up with those 140-word updates on myself by myself. They say that you should encourage your child's creative self-expression, at all avenues. I will happily do so. Check out her Twitter updates to the left and down the column, if you're interested. Let's see how good she can be, now that she's taken over part of my technological self-inflicted burden.

No comments: