Wednesday, June 24

The hat itself is pretty fantastic though

How many of you were creeped out by Johnny Depp in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? "I was," I say, as I raise my own hand. In fact, I watched approximately 15 minutes of it, somewhere in the middle, and had to leave because his whole caricature of Willy Wonka was too disturbing in my brain. The hair, the lipstick, the voice; he was just a freaky little guy, and he scared me.
Here, to the left, is a photo of Depp as the Mad Hatter in a currently filming incarnation of Alice in Wonderland. I'm not ashamed to tell you that he may just scare me away from this movie, too. Which is a shame, really, because Johnny Depp may be one of the best, and most fearless, actors of my generation. I mean, I watched Sweeney Todd, for heaven's sake. I spent good money to see Edward Scissorhands in the theater. I do not shy away from Depp movies easily. But check out the hair, the eyebrows, the red circles under his eyes! Again, creepy! If there's music and a sense of humor, I'm totally there, but if not, I may be saving this particular Depp-tastic film for the Netflix queue.

No comments: