Monday, June 22

Garbage in, garbage out

Today was like a cess pool for entertainment tabloid news. I find it repugnant that any of this is considered "news," but when Jon and Kate's divorce is the lead story on my Yahoo! home page over the metro trains in Washington, D.C. colliding, I declare a problem with the world around me.
So, yes, let's go ahead and dignify this with a response.
Jon & Kate Plus 8: I didn't think I could feel more sorry for those children, but tonight, I do. It's a travesty that this couple's relationship demise is front-page news. Can we stop hearing about them now?
Chris Brown, the singer/ex-boyfriend of singer Rihanna, has agreed to a plea deal to stay out of jail for assaulting Rihanna. Sarcasm alert: It's always nice when a high-profile assault case ends up with a slap on the wrist for the bad guy. Such a good example of a fair justice system for our boys and girls.
The rumor is that the blogger, Perez Hilton, tweeted for his fans to call the police after he was allegedly assaulted by an associate of the Black-Eyed Peas. Let me get this right: he TWEETED for someone to call the police, rather than use the exact instrument in his hand to do just that. This is a crazy, publicity-whore action to take. "How can I make this more about me? I'll tweet, and then maybe call the cops!"
I am sad to say that all this news comes from my favorite entertainment web site, ew.com. I usually appreciate the site for all its good information, but apparently, some days are less about good than they are about bad. I'm kinda grossed out by the site's home page tonight. In fact, I feel like I need to wash my hands ... surgeon-style ... for clicking on it.

[Editor's note: I am fully aware that the above monster is constructed with traffic cans, and not garbage cans. The headline, metaphor and topic don't match. Oh well. The picture is really funny.]

No comments: