Thursday, March 19

Spiders + bananas = possible deadly bite

I'm playing this one kind of funny, but it really is quite scary.

World's deadliest spider found in Tulsa store
(AP) TULSA, Okla. – One of the most deadly spiders in the world has been found in the produce section of a Tulsa grocery store. An employee of Whole Foods Market found the Brazilian Wandering Spider Sunday in bananas from Honduras and managed to catch it in a container.
The spider was given to University of Tulsa Animal Facilities director Terry Childs who said this type of spider kills more people than any other.
Childs said a bite will kill a person in about 25 minutes and while there is an antidote he doesn't know of any in the Tulsa area.
Spiders often are found in imported produce, and a manager at Whole Foods says the store regularly checks its goods and that's how the spider was found.

I mean, suddenly, I totally appreciate the produce checker at my local Whole Foods. And good for them for, most likely, having jars on hand to catch any little eight-legged creature that may crawl out of the banana bin. And of course it would be BANANAS harboring this deadly spider! They are the DEVIL'S FRUIT! This is the kind of thing that would happen to a banana lover! You all tell me I'm crazy for hating bananas, but check it out! If this had been my Whole Foods, and if I was wandering through the produce section, my abhorrence for the yellow, gross fruit would have SAVED MY LIFE!

No comments: