Thursday, March 12

Back in the "ER," and it feels so good

I'm going to get all girly-fan on you tonight, and be all lovey-dovey romantic in regards to this evening's episode of ER, which featured George Clooney and Julianna Margulies in their former rolls of Dr. Doug Ross and Carol Hathaway, respectively. First of all, I loved this episode. From the very first scene, when Margulies stepped into that waiting room, I had goose bumps. And to see Clooney in scrubs again was frickin' awesome. And that we (as crazy Doug and Carol fans) got our closure, knowing that they did get married, that they are still happily raising their twin daughters, and that they are still kick-ass members of a hospital was fantastic.
I loved it when the light reflected off Doug's wedding ring. I loved it when we got any glimpse into the happy life of the couple. I loved it when Doug quizzed the Chicago staff on who was still around at the old hospital ... forgetting to ask about Dr. Carter (that was mean, you ER writers!). I loved it that he still does that pausing thing when he speaks medical. I did not love that they never knew that Carter was the potential recipient of the kid's liver, and that all they ever heard was that it went to "some doctor" in Chicago. (I guess that was the point, right? For us all to remember that what happens in each emergency room is a show in itself.) How wonderful it would have been to have a reunion!
And then there was Dr. Peter Benton's return. Eriq La Salle was yummy, thick, soupy gravy on top of tonight's show. (God, I miss how good that program was!) I loved that he found Carter and hung with him throughout his entire ordeal. I love that he was the difficult guest during the surgery, insisting on the checklist, and ultimately saving Carter's life because of that. I love that he gave Carter a hard time about marrying Kem. I love that they seemed to enjoy their character's giggles. I did not like that Reese, Benton's son, is 13 years old. That makes me 13 years older than I was when I watched the episode in which Reese was born.
I paused the television during the preview scenes for next week's episode to check out the doctor and nurse tags hanging on that wall. I was pleased to see, not only Benton, Ross and Hathaway, but Greene, Weaver and Romano (even though he was a huge jerk) on the wall. None of those other characters will be reappearing, as far as I know. Should I bother watching the last few episodes? I think I will, only for curiosity's sake.
As a whole, I give tonight's episode of ER an enthusiastic and fanatical thumbs up. And any reason to post some pictures of Clooney's face on the blog is a good one.

No comments: