Sunday, November 23

New [Old Guys] on the Block

I had every intention of watching The American Music Awards tonight. We actually sat through Christina Aguilera's opening performance and Jimmy Kimmel's opening monologue. I guess we stopped watching after Pink's performance ... yes, that must be when, because I can't remember anything after that.
I'll admit to being an old woman in regards to the show tonight. I said to myself, in my head, "Let's check this out and see what all the young kids are listening to nowadays." I think I underestimated either my crushingly short attention span or my lack of real interest, because even when given the opportunity to return to the program, I chose instead to do my nails, watch The Bourne Ultimatum, and wait impatiently for True Blood.
My intentions were sound though. I wanted to see what The Jonas Brothers were about, the same with Taylor Swift, Ne-Yo and other acts that I've heard of, but not from. (Actually, weren't The Jonas Brothers on DWTS last season? I must have blocked it; I don't remember their actual performance.)
Honestly and sadly, I think it was the New Kids on the Block segment that pushed me over the edge. I felt so ... embarrassed ... for my generation. Though the girls who loved NKOTB were a couple years younger than me, I still knew the tunes. And I hated watching them do the same dance to "The Right Stuff," and listen to an older Joey McIntyre sing "Please Don't Go, Girl." Even Brian asked me, "Aren't they a bit old to be singing about being someone's boyfriend?"
So really, even though I would call it a valiant effort to get through the show and educate myself on today's music that's worthy of receiving an award, I didn't force myself into viewership, nor did I even check in regulary throughout the show, feigning an interest.
Sigh. Always the best intentions, but so many times, they fall short. ... Did I really miss anything amazing?

No comments: