Tuesday, November 11

Best Starbucks visit ever

So I totally have to tell you about my trip to Starbucks last week!
Katy and I took a road trip to Tucson, and on the way back to Phoenix, decided to cruise through the Starbucks along the freeway. I'll do my best to re-create the visit.
Barista: "Welcome to Starbucks. How are you this evening?"
Me: "Fine, thank you. How are you?"
Barista: "I'm excellent! What can I get you tonight?"
Me: "Excellent? That makes my 'fine' sound boring. I'm fabulous! I'm fantastic!"
Barista: "You sound like you would be willing to play this game we've been playing with our customers tonight. I didn't start with it because the last, like, eight customers didn't participate at all."
Me: "Okay! Bring it!"
Barista: "Okay, pretend like I just turned on my mike and you just arrived at the speaker. Ready?"
What followed was a fantastic game show host voiceover, with musical singing accompaniment from the other employees, offering me prizes behind each door, the first door containing "our wonderful hot espresso drinks," the second held "the very popular frappuccino line of drinks," and the third hid "my personal favorite, the iced drinks." I played along, asking door #1 what fruit it would be (a Granny Smith apple), and finally selecting that door because we wanted hot drinks.
By the time we drove around to the window, all the employees had assembled there, and had one final challenge for us. Because we played along, and with such enjoyment, they would give us one of our drinks free ... if we would sing part of a song for them. Well, little did they all know, but because we were on a road trip, I happened to have my iPod plugged in and resting on my lap at that very moment. Katy and I happily agreed to the challenge.
Me: "So ... I'm thinking disco."
Katy: "That sounds good."
Me: "How about some I Will Survive?"
Katy: "Gloria Gaynor is always an excellent choice!"
So, we started up the song, I turned it up loud enough for the Starbucks peeps to hear well through the window, and we sang along at top volume, and with attitude and arm dancing even! And they also sang along with us! And we sang through the entire first verse and the first chorus! It was ... awesome!
The baristas were so pleased with our serenade, and with our willingness to roll with all of their craziness that night, that they actually gave us both our coffees for free! And those coffees "were made with love," they told us, too! Hands down, the best, most entertaining visit to a Starbucks ever!

1 comment:

Susan S. said...

How fun!