Monday, October 27

"Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice..."

A few things that made me stop for a moment today, in no particular order, except as I remember them:
1.) Target has removed all its Halloween decorations in the store, and Christmas is now in place. Upon entering the store, I was assaulted, visually and emotionally, by red and green paper decor, some holiday glitter, and of course, a Santa Claus image. This is just wrong. It's not even Halloween yet (we're still four days away, right?), and the store has already removed all evidence of witches, ghosts and goblins when a shopper enters, and replaced it with sparkly trees, elves and St. Nick.
2.) Dude! The Backyardigans Live! has canceled its performances in Tempe! I am so disappointed! One thing I can say is thank goodness Sydney had no idea that we had those tickets. I would hate to have to tell a little kid who was looking forward to the show that they weren't going to see the characters dance around on stage. Ugh. It was bad enough just telling Brian.
3.) I totally don't care about the World Series. I have no idea which team is leading the series, or on what days the games are being played, and even better, I don't care at all. It's not my Red Sox playing, so I'm out of it.
4.) I bought eight holiday-themed nightlights at Linens 'N Things this morning. Honestly, it was a very real blank spot in my holiday decor repertoire. I am now the proud owner of five Christmas nightlights, two Halloween nightlights, and one Thanksgiving nightlight. The Thanksgiving one could be considered more of an "autumnal" nightlight, because it's really just a pumpkin with green stems and vines off the top, but it was more Thanksgiving-ish than Halloween, certainly. And it's pretty, so I wasn't going to not get it. I also bought a new set of sheets for my bed; some corn cob holders that, brilliantly, store in pairs with the needles nestled into each other, so you can't stab yourself with them; and some small, mini Chip Clips, because they're better for cereal bags and candy sacks. Truthfully, I was disappointed by the store's going-out-of-business sale, but really, when walking out with the cool nightlights, it can't be considered a failed excursion.
5.) Finally, I'm tripping over the fact that my baby turns two tomorrow. I've been going through the last couple hours visualizing my life on this night two years ago. In a few words, it was: painful for a while, scary, amazingly calm, scary, filled with thoughts of the future, scary, and kinda sticky and smelly. So here's tonight's weird and creepy: Sydney's in her pajamas; I've just finished changing her diaper for the night; and we're trying to coax her into the bathroom so Brian can brush her teeth. She stops at her bookshelf to stall, chooses a book, pulls it out, and hands it to me. Then she scurries down the hall to Brian. What book did she choose? It's the copy of On the Night You Were Born that Auntie Donna gave her for her birthday last year. ... Really! I even made Brian look at what she'd handed me! On the Night You Were Born on the actual night she was born?! How creepily weird and honestly amazing at the same time!

No comments: